[aur-requests] [PRQ#1301] Deletion Request for update

Colin Keenan colinnkeenan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 23:47:30 UTC 2014

Please do not delete my package in the AUR, 'update'. Although the script
contains only one line of relevant code that could better be done with an
alias, the package also contains a desktop file which can easily be put on
a panel or other launcher for one-click updating similar to a GUI. When
installing Arch to other people's computers, people who may not be all that
comfortable with the command line, it's much easier for me to install this
update package for them than to find and copy the script and desktop file
onto their computer.

The idea behind this package is to add the desktop launcher to your panel
(for example the Xfce panel), and then just click on it when you want to
update your computer. The user just enters their password when asked for,
and the rest is done automatically (unless it takes so long that another
password entry is required). By making updating as easy as possible, users
will update more frequently.

The script and desktop file are so simple that anyone can see it's safe.
What would be the harm in leaving it in the AUR?