[aur-requests] [PRQ#2362] Deletion Request for gnucash-devel

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Fri Feb 13 15:58:22 UTC 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 08:42:00 -0700
daddy bird <nmlibertarian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Doug;
>
> Many thanks for the VERY speedy reply. Please let me try to expand on
> my request;
>
> Well...yes there IS a devel release, the git repo and it's various
> branches. i.e. When this -devel was first packaged in 2009 there was
> some use of the old/now-abandoned/not-updated svn repos, albeit this
> particular package seems to be aNOT from those development repos and
> simply a "point-release". i.e. I am not at all sure why it was ever
> labeled as "-devel" !!
>
> To wit: I very recently (today) placed gnucash-git into the aur, and
> this DOES use the current development repo ! SO how is another
> package that is NOT based on the current development repo, and merely
> an old "point-release" correctly labeled "-devel" ?
>
> Anyways, my points may be taken as rhetorical to some extent, but I am
> suggesting there isn't a good reason to leave this in the aur.
>
> VERY best regards;
>
> not_anonymous

Please reply to the list, not just to me. I'm sending this to the list
and cc'ing you.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a repo and
development/unstable release. It's not at all uncommon for software in
the FLOSS world to have even number releases be the stable software
(ie 2.4, 2.6, etc) and odd number releases are in development (ie 2.1,
2.3, etc). This is why this package exists, for those development
releases. This is completely different than pulling from Git HEAD.

Doug