[aur-requests] [PRQ#5273] Merge Request for tensorflow-git

Pieter ROBYNS pieter.robyns at uhasselt.be
Mon Apr 25 08:15:53 UTC 2016

I believe there's an issue to consider here. Tensorflow is not a Python
module. It is a C++ library that happens to provide Python bindings.
Bindings for other scripting languages (e.g. Go) could be introduced in the
future. There is a C API and C++ API as well, though these are - presently
- not as easy to use [1].

I'm wondering whether it would make more sense to have two packages:
"tensorflow" and "tensorflow-git", where both python2 and python3 bindings
are installed by default. A similar approach is taken in the "gnuradio"
package for example: it also provides a C++ library and the python2
bindings are implicitly installed.

Perhaps a TU can help decide which approach should be taken. If they
consider the python2-*, python-* approach to be cleaner, I will remove
"tensorflow-git" from the AUR.

[1]: https://www.tensorflow.org/versions/r0.8/get_started/basic_usage.html