[aur-requests] [PRQ#7932] Deletion Request for lutris-git

Frederik “Freso” S. Olesen freso.dk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 10:22:13 UTC 2017

Den 15-04-2017 kl. 22:58 skrev notify at aur.archlinux.org:
> strycore [1] filed a deletion request for lutris-git [2]:
>
> I would like this package to be deleted, lutris is now released every
> 2 weeks and there is no need to have this.

That's still up to 2 weeks where the -git package would be ahead of the
last release. (And there was recently more than a month between two
releases, after the 2 week release schedule had been "enacted".)

> lutris-git users usually do not contribute back to the project other
> than saying "things are broken" which they will because this is a
> development branch.
>
> This add an extra burden to the development process and is not helpful
> for neither the developers nor the users.

How much extra burden is this? I see two mentions of "lutris-git" at the
forums[1]. The latter of which, from March, only used the -git package
to test whether something had been fixed between "master" and the latest
release.
I haven't seen a lot of people saying "it's broken!~1!" on IRC.
I tried to look over GitHub issues mentioning "lutris-git", and the
couple I looked at also only used lutris-git to check whether a bug had
been fixed in git since the latest release (except for one[2]), and not
encountering the bug using -git first.

Based on the examples I found (and I admit I didn't go fully in depth),
it rather shows that it *was* helpful for users to be able to easily
switch to the latest -git to verify whether a bug was still present or
not, or to temporarily work around an issue that's been fixed since the
last release but hasn't been released proper yet.

(Also, is it better to get bug reports on "stable" releases where the
bug might be 2+ weeks old rather than within a couple of days of a
feature being introduced and the code still being in fresh memory? I
know that I have previously found bugs running from git that hadn't
otherwise been uncovered yet and might well have made it to the "stable"
release.)

By the reasoning given for this removal, the AUR should remove/disallow
almost all VCS packages.

[1] https://forums.lutris.net/search?q=lutris-git
[2] https://github.com/lutris/lutris/issues/369
--