[aur-requests] [PRQ#8227] Request Accepted

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 19:13:14 UTC 2017

For the record, it works out better if you actually keep people CC'ed to
this mailing list where people don't usually subscribe to every last
email of any sort whatsoever. ;)

> I don't understand? This issue was brought up 2 years ago, I responded
> then, and didn't hear a word since.

AFAIK there is no statute of limitations on complaints about the AUR,
but FWIW I happened to mention this in #archlinux-classroom as an
example of what not to do, and demize encouraged me to raise the issue.
I had previously not pursued the point as I only needed the Firefox
extension and I was using my own Firefox-only PKGBUILD...

> is complete bogus. You are not allowed to *build* the package as root,
> which hasn't been possible _anyway_ since Pacman 5.0, I think?

Your comment is completely bogus given that that has nothing to do with
anything anyone has said... but irrelevant, I doubt anyone is willing to
be convinced. Moving on...

> I don't think I've been unresponsive either looking at the logs, so I
> don't understand what's the judgment in this extremely prompt disown
> request: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/log/?h=lastpass

And this is the bit that is probably worth noting in public.

The promptness of the disown request is because demize decided that
there is no two-week waiting period for someone who has a history of
being argumentative in a way that isn't constructive, who already knows
that there is a right way and a wrong way to do it (and lack of interest
on my part in pursuing that is neither here nor there), and perhaps most
importantly, for a package that modifies the homedir which is just
completely unacceptable.

Please do not confuse "I have been responsive about updating the package
according to my opinions of how it should be updated" with "I have been
prompt about absorbing the advice given regarding the correct and the
incorrect ways of doing things as a matter of policy and good practice".

Whether demize should or shouldn't have given you a chance to argue the
case after the orphan request... I don't know, don't care, don't feel
inclined to argue about it. That was the reasoning though, and the
lesson to be learned here is that ideally the AUR will contain *quality*
PKGBUILDs, not just PKGBUILDs for the sake of PKGBUILDs.

tl;dr demize wanted me to take over, and had me file an orphan request
to leave a permanent record of what happened.
(Your near-instantaneous re-adoption within seconds of it being
orphaned, was kind of funny from that perspective.)

--
Eli Schwartz