[aur-requests] [PRQ#8112] Deletion Request for deluge-split

member graysky graysky at archlinux.us
Tue May 16 00:50:06 UTC 2017

> Alad [1] filed a deletion request for deluge-split [2]:
> Packaging change without added/different features, does not fall under
> exception clause for repository duplicates in AUR
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Rules_of_submission

> The submitted PKGBUILDs must not build applications already in any of
> the official binary repositories under any circumstances. Check the
> official package database for the package. If any version of it
> exists, do not submit the package. If the official package is out-of-
> date, flag it as such. If the official package is broken or is lacking
> a feature, then please file a bug report.

FS#16772 been rejected. I also know that most maintainers will not
want the added burden of building the split package as I have
(file-by-file) since
upstream does not supply make targets yet.[1]

> Exception to this strict rule may only be packages having extra
> features enabled and/or patches in compare to the official ones. In
> such an occasion the pkgname should be different to express that
> difference. For example, a package for GNU screen containing the
> sidebar patch could be named screen-sidebar. Additionally the
> provides=('screen') array should be used in order to avoid conflicts
> with the official package

Deluge-split in the AUR is split a package allowing flexibility in
installed size and in respective deps. I would therefore argue it is
not identical to deluge in [extra] as this very design can be
considered a feature.

The discussion page on the deluge wiki article shows that another user
who took the time to comment agrees that the split package is in fact
value-added[2].

1. http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38735#p225355
2. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Talk:Deluge&oldid=458219