[aur-requests] [PRQ#9551] Deletion Request for spinach

Garrett garrett.floft at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 00:42:07 UTC 2017

As I look at it, those points correctly illustrate that this is not the
greatest AUR helper out there. I will not disagree with that. (For example,
the resurgence of bauerbill is refreshing.)

However, I at present do not believe spinach is "risky." It does not source
the PKGBUILD directly. I do not think it will allow arbitrary code
execution before viewing unless there is a method for executing code in a
string in Bash other than with tick marks or $(...). I would easily be
convinced that it is risky if I could find such an example. Note that such
things are listed in a security section in the man page. Though, as you
said, I could (and should) change this fairly easily to use a more modern
method.

In my view this discussion might be more suited as a bug report for spinach
rather than a cause for deleting the package, but delete it if you wish.