[aur-requests] [PRQ#9564] Deletion Request for steamcmd

Mark Weiman mark.weiman at markzz.com
Thu Oct 26 23:41:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-10-26 at 20:59 +0000, notify at aur.archlinux.org wrote:
> Shatur [1] filed a deletion request for steamcmd [2]:
>
> This package is abandoned and don't work now because need to make
> some
> changes in PKGBUILD. I'm going to reupload this package and be a
> maintainer.
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Shatur/
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/steamcmd/

First of all, I didn't see the notification for the latest comments.

Honestly, one of the problems I wanted to avoid is to have ownership of
the files in /usr/share/steamcmd being set to the user running the
steamcmd script, which is why I did not change those file permissions
to 777 (or something similar with everyone having write permissions).

If you run steamcmd as root to allow the app to update (which I
originally did, but people complained about it leaving files behind),
it does work as expected.

The two solutions are as follows, change the .install to tell the user
to run as root or just have the .install run steamcmd once.

For the TU looking at this, I am active and I do intend to continue
maintaining this PKGBUILD.

For Shatur, in the future, if you want to take control of a package,
file an "Orphan Request" instead of a deletion request.

Mark Weiman (markzz)