[aur-requests] [PRQ#10498] Deletion Request for signal-desktop

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 6 13:23:09 UTC 2018

On 02/06/2018 07:27 AM, mrxx wrote:
> 'signal-desktop' is not a duplicate of 'signal' but does some things
> quite differently. Only really needed dependencies are installed,
> resulting in a much smaller download and disk footprint.

If signal, has unnecessary dependencies, then it should not be forked to
fix that. Ask the maintainer to fix it rather than uploading a ragefork.

> 'signal-desktop' also auto-detects a Gnome environment and helps the
> user to make use of the tray icon functionality of Signal-Desktop. It
> also checks for libraries which impair the functionality of the tray
> icon when using KDE and instructs the user to remove them if they are
> not required by any other package.

Yes, historically you have run pacman in the post_install script. This
is the kind of bad judgment that played a part in my desire to see this
package removed, as I do not trust your capacity as a maintainer.

If those warnings are valuable, why doesn't the signal package have
them? Rather than uploading a ragefork.

> Last, but not least the package name seems more consistent to me for a
> program called 'Signal-Desktop' (AUR also provides 'signal-desktop-bin'
> and 'signal-desktop-beta').

The signal package predates all three. If you felt the signal package
should have been renamed, you should not have uploaded a ragefork, but
asked for the original package to be renamed.

tl;dr

Don't upload rageforks to the AUR as a substandard solution for your
disagreement with a package maintainer's choices.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User