[aur-requests] [PRQ#10315] Deletion Request for bbdb

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 14 02:15:05 UTC 2018

On 01/13/2018 01:54 AM, notify--- via aur-requests wrote:
> haawda [1] filed a deletion request for bbdb [2]:
>
> duplicate of emacs-bbdb
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/haawda/
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/bbdb/

Why was this package (emacs-bbdb) available at all, if it used to be a
duplicate of a package in community since 2010, before it recently got
dropped?

Also, the PKGBUILD from community is much better as it does not contain
completely ineffective functions that look like they were meant to go in
an install script rather than the PKGBUILD, plus the install script
would be useless anyways as pacman has hooks now, plus the community
PKGBUILD had PGP signatures enabled... so this package would have to be
fixed just to have feature parity with the community PKGBUILD.

I would also venture to say that the package in community is likely to
have had a better discoverability simply due to that fact.
I'm also not sure why the pkgname emacs-bbdb would be better than bbdb
(it seems to be, conceptually, completely separate software like a lot
of emacs-based stuff IIRC).

For all those reasons, and due to the fact that the emacs-bbdb
maintainer does not appear to have been active in the past *two years*,
I am inclined to delete the other package and keep this "duplicate".

--
Eli Schwartz