[aur-requests] [PRQ#10358] Deletion Request for nodejs-fake

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 19 18:35:21 UTC 2018

On 01/19/2018 01:24 PM, Eric Jardas via aur-requests wrote:
> On 19/01/2018  sL1pKn07 fabio via aur-requests wrote:
>>///FabioLolix [1] filed a deletion request for nodejs-fake [2]: />//>///pacman --assume-installed option exist />//>///[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/FabioLolix/
> <https://aur.archlinux.org/account/FabioLolix/> //>///[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/nodejs-fake/
> <https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/nodejs-fake/>/// /
>

> Of course it does, but that has to be used on every update and
> installation of package that has nodejs as dependency (which lets be
> honest not a lot of people look into before installing a package).
> This pseudo package helps nvm be the only source of nodejs regardless of
> installs and updates. Since the package is in aur, it doesn't have to be
> used if you want to do the hassle of using --assume-installed on every
> install and update. Having a choice is a good thing in my opinion.

IMHO it is less about --assume-installed existing, and more about "if we
let people submit dummy packages, eventually we will have one dummy
package in the AUR for each real package in the repos, on top of the
numerous variations, patched versions, git version, devel versions, and
compat versions".

If you really need a dummy package, why can't you just make your own
private dummy package? It's what I do...

This has the advantage of not cluttering up the AUR with do-nothing
packages.

For people who do not know how to make a dummy package on their own, I'm
not sure we should condone offering them an easy way to fool pacman's
dependency parsing. They'll just get into trouble when it finally breaks
on them.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User