[aur-requests] [PRQ#10358] Deletion Request for nodejs-fake

Mar77i mar77i at protonmail.ch
Fri Jan 19 18:35:01 UTC 2018

​
Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
​

-------- Original Message --------
 On January 19, 2018 7:24 PM, Eric Jardas via aur-requests <aur-requests at archlinux.org> wrote:

>On 19/01/2018  sL1pKn07 fabio via aur-requests wrote:
>>FabioLolix [1] filed a deletion request for nodejs-fake [2]:
>>>pacman --assume-installed option exist
>>>[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/FabioLolix/>[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/nodejs-fake/
>
>Of course it does, but that has to be used on every update and
>installation of package that has nodejs as dependency (which lets be
>honest not a lot of people look into before installing a package).
>This
>pseudo package helps nvm be the only source of nodejs regardless of
>installs and updates. Since the package is in aur, it doesn't have to be
> used if you want to do the hassle of using --assume-installed on every
>install and update. Having a choice is a good thing in my opinion.

I just had a philosoraptor moment: if every dimwit can come up with a dummy package to pretend X was installed, does that mean we have to treat your dummy package as valuable? For each real package that already exists, there's a potential *-fake package to be created, are you sure you want to have thousands upon thousands of *-fake packages on AUR? And we're definitely not talking about the apulse kind of fake.

I somewhat cannot tell. Part of me insists in "good riddance".

cheers!
mar77i