[aur-requests] [PRQ#10393] Deletion Request for st-essential-patches

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 25 03:17:52 UTC 2018

On 01/24/2018 09:54 PM, Adrian Sinclair wrote:
> I initially installed this package from the AUR, then noticed it had
> been removed, then uploaded a replacement (under the same name).

That makes me curious why it was deleted...

> I found it useful because it contains the specific version of st
> that's compatible with with the included patches.

In other words, it is unmaintained.

> I recommend it not be deleted so that it can serve as a good starting
> point for new st users (since most at users maintain their own
> packages).

What, specifically, is "essential" about the patches? If most st users
maintain their own package anyway, then what is the utility for new
users? What is different about, say, the scrollback patch in this
package, vs. the st-scrollback-git package? (st-scrollback-git is a nice
descriptive pkgname that tells you what it does.)

Why does this package contain the source tarball, rather than
downloading it from the st website? (If everything else is my personal
opinions, then this at least is strictly against the AUR rules.)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User