[aur-requests] [PRQ#12005] Orphan Request for hdf5_18

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 31 01:15:03 UTC 2018

On 07/30/2018 08:40 PM, Jean Lucas via aur-requests wrote:
> I suggest you link to a release announcement or tarball next time you
> flag a package out-of-date.

I suggest you become a competent maintainer. There is positively no
requirement for out-of-date messages to contain either one, though it
certainly does not hurt.

Unflagging it and refusing to update out of spite, when it took me all
of one minute to find the release announcement linked right on the
hugely visible download page (for their actual website, not the out of
date url in the PKGBUILD), is... kind of odd.

And if you're simply the type of maintainer that doesn't really care
enough about this package to, when informed of a new release, check up
on it yourself, then I'd have to ask why you even bother.

Now admittedly this package uses a different url scheme than the one
provided by the current download page, and at the same time the hdf5
people are exceedingly weird (for many reasons), but OTOH it looks like
the download url in question is not very stable in the first place. Also
maybe they stopped using it if they're not updating that directory anymore.

But I don't really see this as a reason to silently do nothing without
bothering to check.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User