[aur-requests] [PRQ#12993] Orphan Request for fcitx-sogoupinyin

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 17 05:11:46 UTC 2018

On 10/17/18 12:57 AM, Bian Jiaping via aur-requests wrote:
> fcitx-sogoupinyin maintainer here. The package is NOT actually broken.
>
> What yan12125 pointed out is just a taste of how to use old versions of
> a library: change the dependency to another package which contains the
> old version, or create symbol links from the new version. As symbol link
> just works and I don't want to replace the package libidn with an AUR
> package (the old version was only available in AUR at that time), I
> choosed the symbol link way. Now that libidn11 has been available in the
> community repository several hours ago, I have replaced the dependency
> libidn with libidn11.
It's the responsibility of AUR maintainers not to upload complete and
utter garbage to the AUR.

So.

You *knew* what you did was wrong, but you decided to do it anyway
because you didn't want users to have to compile a second AUR package?

Are you completely nuts? This thing already depends on freaking qtwebkit...

And regardless of how futile the hope of avoiding AUR dependencies is,
releasing completely and utterly broken software is completely and
utterly insane. Don't tell blatant lies to the dynamic linker. If the
library was compatible, it wouldn't have been renamed in the first place.

I'm exceedingly close to orphaning this package, simply because you've
made me lose faith that you should be allowed to maintain it.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User