[aur-requests] Dear all,

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu May 2 20:55:50 UTC 2019

On 5/2/19 4:44 PM, fabienwang via aur-requests wrote:
> Today, I wanted to help someone on an AUR package.
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/windows10-icons/
>
> This person was very unpleasant, telling me to "f*** off", as you can see
> in the comments.

:(

> The guy forces a ssh clone of the github sources, which is in my opinion
> not great, because a ssh clone forces users to be authenticated on GitHub,
> while an AUR package shouldn't force users to be authenticated, it should
> be always cloning using public https repositories.
>
> (I'm surprised that this is not a rule on the Wiki page of AUR :
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Rules_of_submission
> )

It is not a rule, because no one actually thought someone would do this!
How many rules do we need, for people to do sensible, reasonable things?

> So, anyway, the guy just has this repository, not respecting "conventional"
> name for icon themes (they usually are named: nameofthetheme-icon-theme ),
> not respecting the convention that as it retrieves the latest version
> always, it should end with -git
> and moreover, not respecting users (and me).
>
> I want to ask if it's okay that I push my fixed version of the package.
> Also, what can we do against this package/user ?

If the user does not wish to package it properly, we will use
administrative oversight to orphan the package and turn its care over to
someone who can take better care of it.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User