[aur-requests] [PRQ#18988] Orphan Request for ungoogled-chromium

Salvatore Bellizzi nonso at insicuri.net
Wed Apr 22 15:32:35 UTC 2020

I am not sure I know what I "should" do according to you.

This package is used by many people and I have always tried, and still
trying, to keep it both as close to the upstream releases as possible
and up to date. As I have always stated I wait for upstream releases,
though ungoogled-chromium archlinux releated repository is in bit
confused state of versioning, and test if the new release builds and
works with archlinux official patchset released on ungoogle-chromium-
archlinux.
You may not know but it often does not.
As I recently stated, if the needed fix is minor I include it in the
PKGBUILD to let all you user build the new verion, but if it's something
that needs quite a bit of modifications I wait for upstream fixes and
updates to keep it as "official" as possible.

Please note that I do this for the sole purpose of keeping the package
clean and faithful to the upstream version and specifically because it
is used by many people who intend to use ungoogled-chromium as upstream
developed, not my version of it.

I am perfetly aware the the PKGBUILD has been out of date for weeks but
you should know that archlinux patchset is in a broken state and build
fails with new version of ungoogled-chromium. Of course I could patch it
myself but not only it requires more than a few modifications, but it is
also something I do not think should be done for the reasons I espressed
here and in previous statements.

As of now there is an open pull request on github repo that fixes the
build (patching actually) issue and I was waiting for it to be merged.

Last note: I could always update the PKGBUILD as soon as a new
ungoogled-chromium release come out (without waiting for the archlinux
patchset to being updated) but you would get a broken package more than
half of the times.
It is my understanding that most of the userbase would rather have
ungoogled-chromium properly packaged on archlinux and faithful to the
official releases, rather than something that can easily become a
confused patchwork with a somewhat different approach and patching
scheme from upstream.

Hope my positions and reasons are clear and agreable on. If not, and
most users prefer a different approach feel free to explain it, maybe
before abruptly submitting an orphan request with no prior discussion (I
could have just orphaned it myself if many useres wanted me to), and I
would have no problems at all in leaving the maintaing to someone else.

Regards,
Seppia