[aur-requests] [PRQ#22119] Deletion Request for visual-studio-code-insiders

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 3 18:57:15 UTC 2020

On 11/3/20 7:38 AM, Duru Can Celasun wrote:
> I wish this came in as a comment first and not a deletion request.
>
> To address the complaint:
>
>> pkgver uses external resources (curls vendor website)
>
> The version of the insiders build changes dozens of times a day as
> it's automated upstream. I don't see anything in AUR guidelines
> against pkgver using external resources, but I'm open to suggestions
> here.

Hmm, looks like this is curling the upstream "latest" redirect to find
out the version. Also, the version is *different* depending on the
$CARCH ???

>> possibly confusion around sources and pkgver
>
> No idea what this means.

Well, given that the $pkgver is used to download the source, then
*later* modified to be the result of some curl, you'll be quite lucky if
it ever downloads to the right name. Furthermore, if you download the
source once, then rerun makepkg, you can trivially end up in a situation
where:
- you reuse an old cached source in the extraction stage and package()
- the package version is newer than the actual contents

This is quite wrong and I agree with daurnimator that I'm not really
sure this should be a package if this sort of hack is needed...

The purpose of pkgver() is exclusively to inspect the download and
determine a version from there, e.g. using version control downloads to
pull self-updating sources and inspecting the version control metadata
to derive a version.

>> missing -bin suffix for a binary package
>
> Omitting the suffix is common and popular practice on AUR
> [1][2][3][4][5][6] when the source code is not available. Visual
> Studio Code is a closed source, proprietary product.
>
> So I'm not sure a rename is warranted here but I'd be happy to change
> it if a TU says so.

This I do agree with you on, since "project-name" is the preferred name
of the package, and must build from source "if possible", while
"project-name-bin" is the name for "alternative builds for something
that usually builds from source".

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User