[aur-requests] [PRQ#22089] Merge Request for v8-r

Jan Marvin Garbuszus jan.garbuszus at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Oct 31 10:56:47 UTC 2020

V8 offers a variety of configuration options. The v8-r package that I
maintain is specifically tailored to the needs of R users. It is
required by the R-package V8, which itself is a dependency of other
R-packages. Therefore v8-r is explicitly mentioned in the documentation
of the R-Package. While the V8-Package, which is recently maintained by
Ariel who is the author of this merge request, has a different build
configuration and a static monolithic core. (Not sure why this ain't no
major difference to you.)

The current configuration of the AUR-package v8 would make it impossible
to build the R-Package. While it is possible to make appropriate changes
to build the R-Package with a monolithic V8 (which is exactly what I did
recently and which is now documented as a variant in the R-Package),
these are at least medium-term goals that would break the existing R
ecosystem in the short term. In the interest of the R users I therefore
have to veto the merge request.

I'm not against unifying v8 builds and have argued in this direction
with the former maintainer of the AUR-package. Though V8 is a mighty
package which offers multiple build configurations and there simply is
no one size fits all.