[aur-requests] [PRQ#27183] Deletion Request for nextcloud-upgrade-hook Rejected

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Sat Aug 14 00:14:34 UTC 2021

Request #27183 has been rejected by ainola [1]:

I am going to reject the deletion request.

I personally do not agree to having a package merely add a hook: I'd
say it violates the [rules of
submission](https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_submission_guidelines#Rules_of_submission):

> Make sure the package you want to upload is useful. Will anyone else
want to use this package? Is it extremely specialized? If more than a
few people would find this package useful, it is appropriate for
submission.

However, a cursory search of the AUR shows a *lot* of packages doing
just that. A number of them have lots of votes, even. I can see this
package being as useful as e.g. the systemd-boot upgrade hook.

Therefore, I believe this debate demands a discussion on defining
whether a package only providing a hook is acceptable in the AUR. As
there is precedent set, this belongs here.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/ainola/