[aur-requests] Rules evasion: repeatedly re-uploading deleted packages (Was: [PRQ#23352] Deletion Request for rtl8821ce-dkms)

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 28 23:49:50 UTC 2021

On 1/28/21 5:57 PM, Doug Newgard via aur-requests wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 22:49:58 +0000
> notify--- via aur-requests <aur-requests at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> alium [1] filed a deletion request for rtl8821ce-dkms [2]:
>>
>> hi,
>> rtl8821ce-dkms use git source (but -git suffix missing) and it is
>> practically the same package as
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rtl8821ce-dkms-git/ (maintained by
>> driver developer). So there are two package, which are same.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/alium/
>> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/rtl8821ce-dkms/
>
> It has also been deleted twice already, and the maintainer keeps re-uploading
> it.
>
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2020-December/047147.html
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2020-December/047680.html
>
> Along with the -lts variants (seriously, and dkms package for the -lts kernel).

I agree that this should not be done, and I'm not sure why it was
re-uploaded after being deleted for good reason.

If a package is deleted by a Trusted User, it MUST NOT be re-uploaded
unless the person re-uploading it is confident that the reason it was
originally deleted no longer applies.

Knowingly and intentionally violating this qualifies as rules evasion
and will not be tolerated.

It is the responsibility of the person wishing to re-upload the package
to verify that it is reasonable to re-upload (e.g. deleted due to lack
of interest rather than being a violation of the rules of submission). I
strongly recommend doing your due diligence. If in doubt, ask a Trusted
User on the mailing list or in Freenode IRC's #archlinux-aur channel.

Mounir Erhili,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you overlooked the
email alert that the package was deleted, and you git pushed without
realizing it was removed. Twice in a row. :/

However, I will require your written confirmation that you realize the
problem, will be more careful in the future, and this will not occur again.

I've suspended your account for now, so you will not be able to
accidentally or deliberately repeat the infraction before seeing this email.

Please respond to this email and confirm that you've received the
warning. Then I will agree to re-enable your account.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User