[aur-requests] [PRQ#26744] Deletion Request for octoprint-venv

Jake aur at ja-ke.tech
Tue Jun 29 09:15:31 UTC 2021

On 28.06.21 20:08, notify at aur.archlinux.org wrote:
> Repentinus [1] filed a deletion request for octoprint-venv [2]:
>
> Installs octoprint into a venv instead of the appropriate FHS
> location. Should be fixed and uploaded as octoprint.

The package installs into /opt, which is the appropriate FHS location
for self contained packages (like a full venv). So what exactly do you
want to "fix" here?

If you dislike the general approach of using a venv then just
contribute/patch the already existing 'octoprint' (no suffix) package to
remove the venv there. Keep in mind that this would break often on
dependency updates and therefore will be a lot of patch work. I have
tried it for a while and it was just not feasible...

Only real solution is to constantly help upstream with compatibility of
bleeding edge dependencies. That would make this package indeed not
necessary anymore.

In the meantime I think a venv package is still useful, providing proper
user/permissions + systemd integration with a venv installation as the
Octoprint devs recommend.
I am open to other ideas, but I don't see how simply deleting this would
improve anything.