[aur-requests] [PRQ#33929] Deletion Request for vdr-api

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Sun Apr 10 00:07:42 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for vdr-api [2]:

This dummy package is not useful and not required.

It was created to accommodate some AUR helpers
that lack such a basic and necessary feature as
handling the provides entries on AUR during
dependency resolution.

(I am using yay and paru, both handle them well.)

This package was created for AUR/vdr.
That package now has a versioned provides - currently this:
    provides = vdr-api=2.6.1

This package, vdr-api, was not kept up to date with the above,
as it currently has pkgver=2.4.7

Yet, dependents requiring vdr-api=2.6.1 can be installed
just fine by paru and yay, because AUR/vdr provides exactly
that. No need for this (outdated) intermediary dummy package.

Example dependent that I tried and which installs fine
without even requiring AUR/vdr-api:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vdr-play

Safe to delete, as its now incorrect version proves my point.
No users have complained that they couldn't install
dependents of AUR/vdr because of a version mismatch.
Guess they use a proper AUR helper like paru or yay or
something on par with them, and their tool of choice
was able to resolve the dependency correctly without
AUR/vdr-api as a dummy intermediary.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MarsSeed/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/vdr-api/