[aur-requests] [PRQ#36723] Deletion Request for python2-gcp-devrel-py-tools

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Tue Aug 2 15:50:57 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for python2-gcp-devrel-py-tools
[2]:

Please kindly delete this Python 2 package. It is not needed by
anything.

I've originally imported it to AUR together with python2-urllib3,
because this was in the latter's checkdepends() array. I've since
realized that it is not mandatory for testing.

URLlib3 1.26.11 still has its built-in support for running on Google
AppEngine via gcp-devrel-py-tools and using its Python2-only
'URLFetch' service, but this feature has not seen much development
during the last few years. [a]

Google AppEngine support has been removed from the main branch for the
upcoming URLlib3 v2.0 release, because the latter project is about to
drop Python 2 altogether. [b]

Anyway, this deprecated support was only used if running python-
urllib3 with Python 2 on Google AppEngine itself. I am not sure if it
is possible to run Arch Linux on it, as it seems it is a Platform-as-
a-Service (PaaS) having its own OS. Also, Python 2 is deprecated so
Google's cloud platforms are in the process of phasing it out for
good.

The gcp-devrel-py-tools project seems to have been neglected /
unmaintained by Google since 2020. [c]
It is not officially deprecated yet, but there are already byte-
compilation errors at least when building with Python 2.7.

All in all, it's best to delete this package.

[a]
https://github.com/urllib3/urllib3/commits/1.26.11/src/urllib3/contrib/appengine.py
[b]
https://github.com/urllib3/urllib3/commit/6af53ac41757399607382bf10a92b288fdf4951d