[aur-requests] [PRQ#36830] Deletion Request for sacks

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Sat Aug 6 13:30:44 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for sacks [2]:

Pakage is defunct - it was a FOSS videoconferencing stack for an
Italian NGO fostering digital freedoms in the 2000's. But the
organization seems defunct now, and its websites servers have been
shut down since at least 2016.

Package maintainer/developer @robertfoster tried to revive this Python
2 and Qt4 based software in 2019 by porting it to Python 3 and Qt5 in
2019, but ultimately abandoned that initiative.

Current AUR package is still on Qt4 and Python 2. But after my prompt
and OOD flag for this update, maintainer disowned this. So I infer
that they agree with my observations above that this package is not
worth the effort now that its backing NGO and backend services are
gone.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MarsSeed/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/sacks/