[aur-requests] [PRQ#32637] Merge Request for streamlink-twitch-gui

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Fri Feb 18 13:55:34 UTC 2022

bastimeyer [1] filed a request to merge streamlink-twitch-gui [2] into
streamlink-twitch-gui-bin [3]:

I'm the author of Streamlink Twitch GUI and have inherited
maintainership of the "streamlink-twitch-gui" AUR package years ago
after it was created by another user.

The "streamlink-twitch-gui" package has historically been a "-bin"
package, but the AUR submission rule for "-bin" packages didn't exist
yet (according to the wiki's edit history) when the package was
created.

With the app's 2.0.0 release almost three weeks ago, I'm finally
fixing this and therefore request a package merge with the newly
created "streamlink-twitch-gui-bin" package. After the 2.0.0 release,
I bumped the pkgrel of the "streamlink-twitch-gui" package with a note
at the top of the PKGBUILD, so most users have been informed about the
package name change. Enough time has passed now and I'm finally ready
to submit this merge request.

----

Since this package merge request will have to be approved by a TU, I
have the following question related to continuing the "streamlink-
twitch-gui" AUR package which I'd like to get answered by one of the
TUs:

I've already posted a forum thread at the end of October last year,
but I didn't receive any answers:

Streamlink Twitch GUI is based on NW.js (formerly known as "node-
webkit"), the predecessor of Electron. The built app needs to bundle
the NW.js runtime, because it requires a specific version which isn't
always in sync with the "nwjs-bin" AUR package.

My question is this:
Is building the app from source in the "streamlink-twitch-gui" package
okay if it (1) also pulls the pre-built NW.js files from the NW.js-
developer's site, or would it be necessary to either (2) build NW.js
from source too, or (3) add a special "nwjs-X.Y-bin" AUR package where
it pulls the specific version and set it as a make-dependency in the
"streamlink-twitch-gui" package?

(1) This would be a the most simple solution, at least for me. The
app's "-git" package also does this, because there's no other way
around it. The regular non-git package would however properly add the
NW.js files to the PKGBUILD's source array.
(2) There aren't any PKGBUILDs for building NW.js from source right
now, so I'd be totally lost.
(3) The make-dependency solution would mean that I'd have to
constantly add new AUR packages for this, which is a bit stupid.

Thanks!

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/bastimeyer/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/streamlink-twitch-gui/
[3] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/streamlink-twitch-gui-bin/