[aur-requests] [PRQ#31497] Deletion Request for anbox-modules-dkms

info at sick.codes info at sick.codes
Sun Jan 16 17:49:07 UTC 2022

Thanks for that,

No, there are infinite reasons to have all of -bin -git and non-git packages. Docker containers, upstream changes, security holes in newer/older versions, cloud installs, automation etc.

Not everyone is on the Mailing List + Forums + Reddit + IRC + Discord etc.

AUR security is at the absolute top of my check-list.

Most AUR users don't want actively maintained packages to be randomly transferred to brand new users (at the time), with absolutely no historical proof of trust (at the time). I invite you to evaluate my trustworthiness: https://github.com/sickcodes/security/tree/master/advisories. I happily added you as a co-maintainer. Then the merge went thru, expecting you were going to cancel the request.

In my opinion, as you were well aware all of the merge requests items were addressed, you should've cancelled the merge request last month.

That's why I am concerned. I'm not attached, I'm concerned about the security of the project.

Users still need a pinned version, as do many others on 5.10, 5.11, 5.12, 5.13, 5.14, 5.15, etc.

You knew the fixes were made and should've cancelled the merge.

Contact the maintainer politely next time, like other AUR users do when they request updates, and similarly, I contact package maintainers with tips.

A) contact the maintainer
B) create a -git and file a merge request

You chose option B

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org by @eNV25

You created a -git version and merge requested 2 hours later.

Why would you merge instead of simply contacting me to fix it? I honestly considered the intial request a malicious request, which at the time, was from a brand new account.

I would prefer to pkgver using pkgver=5 and pkgrel=15.14, so as to reflect the last supported kernel.

All of your requests in the merge request were already fixed and in good faith I believe you probably should've honored your statement to cancel the merge:

- Uses git source without a -git pkgname suffix.
> Fixed before merge https://github.com/sickcodes/aur/commit/dffca947ee02be66fe4ea54682a6d5ae1195b798

- Is not a proper DKMS package.
> Yes it is. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DKMS_package_guidelines

  - It doesn't use DKMS hooks. It instead runs make install in
build().
> It was moved and there are no release binaries from the GitHub project, which would be a -bin anyway.

  - It depends on linux-headers.
> That was fixed before the merge: https://github.com/sickcodes/aur/commit/5e900cd21fc4d6729bb9d41f0bbc47f060cfd06c#diff-b770532527784a5638d944a5d07854bc60a26c8ef9580f74ff72aa865aa73a75

  - It installs **/dkms.conf to /usr/lib/modules-load.d/ for some
reason.
> Also fixed before the merge: https://github.com/sickcodes/aur/commit/5e900cd21fc4d6729bb9d41f0bbc47f060cfd06c#diff-b770532527784a5638d944a5d07854bc60a26c8ef9580f74ff72aa865aa73a75

These were all addressed before the merge, to which you agreed. The fact you didn't cancel the merge concerns me.

sickcodes commented on 2021-12-13 01:24

    Removed the build function from previous maintainer
    Removed linux-headers from previous maintainer
    Removed /usr/lib/modules-load.d/ from previous maintainer
    Added 5.10 patch

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/anbox-modules-dkms-git/#comment-840564

That's why I was more than happy to add you as a co-maintainer.

For example 5.16.0-rc5-1 wasn't working:

==> dkms install --no-depmod binder/1 -k 5.15.14-1-lts
==> dkms install --no-depmod ashmem/1 -k 5.16.0-arch1-1
==> dkms install --no-depmod ashmem/1 -k 5.16.0-rc5-1-git-00224-g9eaa88c7036e
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.16.0-rc5-1-git-00224-g9eaa88c7036e (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/ashmem/1/build/make.log for more information.
==> WARNING: `dkms install --no-depmod ashmem/1 -k 5.16.0-rc5-1-git-00224-g9eaa88c7036e' exited 10
==> dkms install --no-depmod binder/1 -k 5.16.0-arch1-1
==> dkms install --no-depmod ashmem/1 -k 5.16.0-zen1-1-zen
==> dkms install --no-depmod ashmem/1 -k 5.15.14-1-lts
==> dkms install --no-depmod binder/1 -k 5.16.0-zen1-1-zen

Users need a non-git pegged version if upstream changes, thats the end of the story.

In good faith,

Sick Codes of the Security Research Team @SickCodes <https://twitter.com/sickcodes>

https://sick.codes
https://github.com/sickcodes