[aur-requests] [PRQ#36278] Deletion Request for covergloobus-dev

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Thu Jul 7 16:05:44 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for covergloobus-dev [2]:

Last maintainer disowned the package after I requested a small change
related to one of the Python 2 dependencies.

It seems this application had its last release, v1.6, in 2010 [a], and
its development was halted completely in 2015. [b]

Its last 'dev' tarball release (v1.7.3), used by this package, was
published in 2011. [c]

"A standalone application to see what is playing in your favourite
music player", it is based on Python 2 and Gtk2.

Package has been defunct since Oct 2021, when python2-pyxdg has been
dropped from Arch repos. No one complained.

I've restored that missing depends recently to AUR, and managed to
built this successfully. But the application itself just crashes due
to not found Python 2 dbus module.

AUR also has the last stable version in 'covergloobus' package (from
2010), and a defunct VCS package ('covergloobus-dev').
They also crash for the same reason.
But as these latter two still have a maintainer, I have submitted the
issues I'd found to them, and the question whether they consider these
builds to be worth keeping and fixing. I am awaiting their answer.

In the meantime, as the current 'covergloobus-dev' has no owner now
and does not produce a working application, I suggest to delete this
package from AUR.

[a] https://launchpad.net/covergloobus
[b] https://code.launchpad.net/~gloobus-dev/covergloobus/trunk
[c] https://launchpad.net/~gloobus-dev/+archive/ubuntu/covergloobus