[aur-requests] [PRQ#36399] Deletion Request for check50

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Wed Jul 13 04:45:40 UTC 2022

MayorBender [1] filed a deletion request for check50 [2]:

This package should be deleted for two reasons.

The first is that it's already easily install-able through the Package
Installer for Python (pip) here: https://pypi.org/project/check50/

The second is that its dependencies conflict with what's provided by
Arch repos.
For example, it depends on pyyaml version >=3.10,<6. This conflicts
with the upstream version of pyyaml, which is 6.0 and is the one the
Arch repos provide. Meaning the AUR installed version will fail to run
and the user will have to install it through pip anyways.

Note: I maintain all AUR packages related to CS50.
I tried to find a reasonable way to keep this package up to date in
the AUR but considering the dependency conflicts, it no longer makes
sense to keep it in the AUR.
I will continue to maintain packages related to CS50 that make sense
to maintain, such as the libcs50 & libcs50-git packages since they are
not easily install-able elsewhere nor do they have annoying dependency
conflicts.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MayorBender/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/check50/