[aur-requests] [PRQ#36579] Deletion Request for audacity-release-git

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Tue Jul 26 10:38:14 UTC 2022

On 2022-07-26 11:45:59 (+0200), Evert Vorster wrote:
> -git packages are built on the user's system, whereas community
> packages are binary only.
> There is some use for a package that tracks the latest release branch
> of git, as the user can change some settings before compiling and
> installing. This is not an option with community packages.

Packages in our official repositories can be built from source by anyone
(see ABS [1] and asp [2]).

> Also, this package will track the _latest_ release, so when there is a
> new branch, this package will be updated to track that branch, and
> that will surely get updates.

The package in [community] also tracks the latest release (that can be
built), which is why audacity-release-git duplicates this effort.

It is highly questionable whether tracking release branches makes any
sense, as upstream will turn them into releases fairly soon which means
they will maybe track commits in between e.g. 3.x.1 to 3.x.2 only very
shortly.
Therefore when looking at the AUR rules of submission [3], the package
either breaks the first rule if it packages the same version as audacity
in [community] or breaks the third rule, when packaging a handful of
commits (if any) in the short time between releases.

Best,
David

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_Build_System
[2] https://man.archlinux.org/man/asp.1