[aur-requests] [PRQ#35236] Deletion Request for protobuf-static

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Fri Jun 10 17:19:50 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for protobuf-static [2]:

Has not been updated for more than a year now.
I suggest to delete this package.

Arch [extra] carries the current protobuf.

There are only two AUR dependents specifically needing this:
AUR/cntk and AUR/cntk-cuda, both of which are for Microsoft's
Cognitive Toolkit that was discontinued after 2019.

Those packages don't need static libraries as far as I can tell;
also they are broken since at least two years ago because they
need Python 3.7 but have not been configured to use specifically that.

Therefore I would say it's safe to delete this old package
because it does not seem needed anymore.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MarsSeed/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/protobuf-static/