[aur-requests] [PRQ#35487] Deletion Request for python2-sncosmo

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Sat Jun 18 16:42:28 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for python2-sncosmo [2]:

I suggest this Python 2 based SNCosmo package is better to be deleted.

Astronomy and cosmology Python packages were forced to move
exclusively to Python 3
because of the loss of HDF5 support after 2019. So SNCosmo itself does
no longer support
Python 2 since v2 has been released in June 2019.

I've tried to check if I can restore python2-astropy and python2-h5py
but my expertise is
in DevOps and Java; also I saw that the C API's of HDF5 has changed a
huge amount so even a
C/C++/Python engineer would have to catch up with 3 years of changes
in HDF5 and Python-H5Py
development.

Safe to delete as nothing depends on it and it is severely broken as
is.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MarsSeed/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/python2-sncosmo/