[aur-requests] [PRQ#35787] Merge Request for lbry-app-bin

Tom tom at flowee.org
Thu Jun 23 18:51:41 UTC 2022

On 23 juni 2022 20:29:31 CEST Ruben Kelevra wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> that's not an opinion. The package should be named as the
> software it represents.
>
> Why shouldn't it be up for me to request a deletion/merge if
> there's an obvious issue with the package? That's what open
> source is about: Work together to improve things.

I agree on the working together.
You are not doing that by attempting to go over the heads of the
years-long-maintainers. Do you see that this is forcing the issue
without cooperation?
It makes me feel attacked.

> The
> maintainer of the package has already contacted me after the
> deletion request and argued that the package is named *-app
> because it's an application. This doesn't make any sense. You
> don't create "chrome-app" or "kontakt-app" packages. You could
> have just created the destination package lbry-desktop-bin
> yourself, as you got the decision of Morganamilo to have a
> merge request for this as well. You decided against that.
>
> I offered you to disown the package, as I really don't want to
> maintain yet another package if there's is/are maintainer(s)
> available – I just don't want to add confusion for no reason:
> There's a "lbry-desktop-git" and a "lbry-desktop" package
> available which offer the same software as your "lbry-app-bin"
> – which is straight out confusing.
>
> And the further discussion here is just leading nowhere. Your
> package is named wrong.

I welcome your input, and I regret your refusal to work together
with the maintainers on this.

It is a rather hard statement to say something is wrong. There
are good reasons for the name it is today, I have not seen any
arguments why the current name is "wrong".
The upstream release is called simply 'lbry', the installed
executable is too. And this name is in the package. What is wrong
with that?

Could something be a better choice? Possibly. But do we really
want to lose all the current 'customers' with that? No, that
doesn't seem to be a good balance. The name has been in use for 5
years, afterall.

But you are free to make your argument in the proper forum.
Which is not a private email initiated by the people who's
package you want to rename.

Have a nice day!