[aur-requests] [PRQ#36123] Deletion Request for turpial

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Wed Jun 29 18:28:39 UTC 2022

lucaswerkmeister [1] filed a deletion request for turpial [2]:

Turpial <https://github.com/satanas/Turpial/> is Python 2 software,
and thus this package cannot be built as several of its python2
dependencies have gone. I don’t see any sign of development towards a
Python 3 version, neither in Turpial’s branches
<https://github.com/satanas/Turpial/branches> nor in a fork
<https://github.com/satanas/Turpial/network>.

There *is* a python3 branch of the underlying libturpial library
<https://github.com/satanas/libturpial/tree/python3>, as MarsSeed
pointed out. I don’t know what it’s used for, if not for a Python 3
version of Turpial. (It looks like a first-time contributor sent some
Python 3 conversion pull requests, and the maintainer merged them into
the python3 branch; that doesn’t necessarily mean that the maintainer
has any further plans for this branch, or that the contributor is
going to send further pull requests.)

I propose to:
* delete turpial, turpial-git, and libturpial from the AUR
* point libturpial-git to the python3 branch
* potentially, recreate turpial, turpial-git and/or libturpial later
if Python 3 versions or releases ever show up

Deleting the packages is up to y’all; I’m happy to update the
libturpial-git package, but want to wait with that for what you decide
for the packages. I could also imagine other outcomes, such as
deleting all the packages (I personally haven’t used Turpial in
years), or just leaving them around in their current state. What do
you think?

[Procedural note: I’m not subscribed to the mailing list, I hope
that’s okay.]

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/lucaswerkmeister/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/turpial/