[aur-requests] [PRQ#35618] Deletion Request for python2-pytest-expect

Marcell Meszaros marcell.meszaros at runbox.eu
Thu Jun 30 16:06:02 UTC 2022

# Note: resending to aur-requests as previously I was not subscribed.
# Note2: @Zigsaz: you haven't actually responded to my question about this package, so please do so.

No, this is not unneeded. I've just restored this to AUR, to allow using check() in the PKGBUILD of python2-html5lib, itself recently restored by me.

I am working in concert with @hexd and a few other AUR volunteers to temporarily restore a select few core Python 2 packages that help in bring back to life some legacy apps which haven't yet migrated to Python 3 or have no alternatives yet, and which are still useful to people in the interim.

Testing related modules are extremely useful to keep as long as there are Python 2 based PKGBUILDs in AUR, so these are the very last that should be deleted.

It was testing done in the check() function that uncovered some utf-8 related configuration errors or source errors with some packages (e.g. discrepancy between PyPI and GitHub tarball, where one was missing important files).

So instead of forcing AUR maintainers to disable check(), I am trying to help them as well as myself to (re)enable testing, to see if everything is all right with the built package.

Is this answer acceptable for you as to the raison d'être of this AUR package? :)

Cheers,
Marcell