[aur-requests] [PRQ#33096] Deletion Request for whatismyip

Christopher Snowhill (kode54) kode54 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 11:41:20 UTC 2022

> On Mar 9, 2022, at 1:42 AM, notify--- via aur-requests <aur-requests at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> kleintux [1] filed a deletion request for whatismyip [2]:
>
> Script is hosted in aur git. no description / upstream url. uses 3th
> party service to get the external ip.
>
> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/kleintux/
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/whatismyip/

This has to use an external service, since its purpose is querying your external facing IP address, even if you're behind a NAT. They could have used ifconfig.me <http://ifconfig.me/> instead, though, since that's another service. Depends on whether they trust the permanence of the owner of that domain, versus the permanence of Amazon Web Services running their own IP query service.

I do agree, however, that it may be required to host this tiny script on a Github repository or a Gist on Github, rather than using the AUR to host it. Even if it is under 1 KiB.