[aur-requests] [PRQ#33217] Deletion Request for pipewire-dummy

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Thu Mar 17 14:11:22 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for pipewire-dummy [2]:

I suggest deletion of this 'dummy' package.

It was meant to be a (well-intended but not very well-informed)
dependency workaround for pulseeffects to not need pipewire.

But this package just breaks other pipewire dependents,
including full DE shells like kwin / KDE Plasma.

And it doesn't solve any problems.

Meanwhile pulseeffects package was dropped from the repos;
replaced with its successor, easyeffects.
That tool only works with pipewire.

Commenter  djmattyg007 pointed out on 2021-03-05:
"I think the design of this package is misguided. Pulseeffects v5
doesn't work properly with pulseaudio. If you want to continue using
pulseeffects with pulseaudio, you should install pulseeffects-legacy
from the AUR."

Original submitter @JerryXiao has made me maintainer and disowned the
package.
At first I though that I could make this package useful somehow,
only to realize that this will just break applications
that were linked against pipewire libraries.

So it's not useful and not safe to keep it.
Only deletion is the reasonable option.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MarsSeed/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/pipewire-dummy/