[aur-requests] [PRQ#34982] Deletion Request for bin32-jre7

notify at aur.archlinux.org notify at aur.archlinux.org
Tue May 31 01:06:17 UTC 2022

MarsSeed [1] filed a deletion request for bin32-jre7 [2]:

Orphaned package, last updated in 2017.

Oracle blocks access to the linked policy file,
and the declared Dropbox source is gone.

This package was a 32-bit binary JRE 7 for x86_64 architecture.
The reason for this package being uploaded is a mystery to me,
I can only imagine it comes from some misunderstanding.

The Java Virtual Machine and Runtime Environment executes
hardware-agnostic Java bytecode. Therefore there is no
32- or 64-bit Java application. All JRE/JVM can execute
any Java bytecode that was byte-compiled to at least that
Java platform runtime ABI version.

I can think of no reason whatsoever to execute a 32-bit
Java Virtual Machine on a 64-bit platform.

Anyway, package is long orphaned and nothing depends on it.
Safe to delete.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/MarsSeed/
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/bin32-jre7/