checkupdates returns non-zero exit status 1

Johannes Löthberg johannes at kyriasis.com
Sun Oct 13 16:43:14 UTC 2019

Excerpts from Eli Schwartz's message of October 10, 2019 23:14:
> On 10/10/19 4:58 PM, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
>> Excerpts from Jeffrey Serio's message of October 10, 2019 22:37:
>>> Hello all. I'm just curious what is going on with the checkupdates
>>> script. It returns exit status 1. Anyone else have this issue? Or, is
>>> this the intended behavior for when there are no updates?
>>>

>> Hey,
>>
>> Somehow it had completely slipped my mind that ab69666 (checkupdates:
>> add option to download updates using -Swu, 2019-04-24) exits with 1 if
>> there are no updates.
>>
>> The question is whether we should treat updates and no updates the same
>> and exit with 0, or if we want different exit statuses for either case..
>
> I think it's reasonable to ask for different return codes depending on
> whether pacman -Qu failed or whether pacman -Sy failed.
>
> The question is whether we should stick with exit 1 for compatibility
> with pacman -Qu, or have it exit 2.

-Qu being empty isn't really a *failure*, so I think it makes more sense
to use 1 for actual failures, and 2 for -Qu being empty.

Though on the other hand, I also think it makes more sense for
checkupdates exiting with 0 when there are no updates, but that doesn't
matter as much.
--
Sincerely,
  Johannes Löthberg :: SA0DEM