Ideas for new functionality in pacdiff

John A. Leuenhagen john at zlima12.com
Tue Sep 29 03:11:35 UTC 2020

Hello,

I recently discovered pacdiff, which has proved to be an simple,
excellent tool for taking care of pacfiles. There are a couple minor
improvements I thought of, and would like to hear opinions on them
before writing a patch.

Currently, before pacdiff asks for the user's choice of action, it will
compare the original file to the pacfile. If the files are identical, it
will delete the pacfile. My idea is to perform this check after the user
views the diff. This way, the user may merge all changes with their
DIFFPROG, and the pacfile will automatically be deleted when they close
their editor. If the files still differ, functionality would remain the
same as it is currently.

The second idea is simply a way to swap the sides that the files appear
on in DIFFPROG. Personally, I would prefer having the pacfile on the
right, but it is currently on the left. Having an argument for this
seems reasonable to me.

These would both be very simple changes, but would make the program a
lot nicer, for me at least.

Thanks,
John Leuenhagen