[pacman-dev] IDEA: checkdb script

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 17:21:14 EST 2006

Hi!

After yet another local database corruption I've got an idea for a
script that will do the following:
go through files in /var/lib/pacman/local/ and check dependencies of
them with those, listed in
/var/lib/pacman/{current,extra,testing,unstable,community} and try to
repair any found problems.

For example both pacman and pacman3 write wrong dependency info into
local database after some actions with some packages (there are few
bugs about this already, but some may be unknown) - this script could
fix this by rebuilding dependency tree from repos (it's highly
recommended that all packages in current are up-to-date for this, but
not strictly necessary, because depends are changed not so
frequently).

Of course there is the problem with this - what if this script will
build wrong dependency tree or have other bugs. :p But I think there
shouldn't be big problem to ensure it will work like swiss watch, and
it can be used to find bugs in pacman when doing -S / -R intensively.

What do you think about this?

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)