[pacman-dev] add message() function call for use in *.install/.PKGINFO files

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Fri May 26 08:52:21 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 03:08:08PM +0300, ????? ??????? <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Different packages use different style to output some info for user.
> They use echo, but prefixes information with different chars ("  >>>
> ", " ==> ", " >> "  etc.).
> I think it will be better if there will be message() function that can
> be used for such purpose.
> This will not only make all such info messages the same style,
> but also this will allow to cache such messages and display them after
> upgrade process
> (this is very useful when upgrading many packages).
> What do you think?

the whole "echo in post_install" custom should be avoided. think of any
gui - their stdout is even invisible in most cases

it's up to the Arch devs how they solve this problem - in Frugalware we
use to add README.Frugalware files for packages and such infos are
described there. probably such READMEs are not preferred by them since
by default they remove all the docs from the packages

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org