[pacman-dev] add message() function call for use in *.install/.PKGINFO files

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Sun May 28 19:08:22 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 01:02:44AM +0300, ????? ??????? <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow! I don't know what this code means (I'm not started digging
> libalpm internals yet).
> What I mean is something like this in .install file:
>
> post_install()
> {
>   task_start("Generating initial ramdisk...")
>   # some code here...
>   task_end()
> }
>
> instead of this old bad way:
>
> post_install()
> {
>   echo "Generating initial ramdisk..."
>   # some code here...
>   echo " done"
> }
>
> And like this:
>
> post_install()
> {
>   message("Attention! Please change default config file before
> restart!", "MTYPE_WARNING")
> }
>
> I'm talking about adding some predefined functions to "API" for PKGBUILDers.

i really don't want to flame, but do you know C?

when you call the scriptlet, the best what you can do is to use popen()
then read something like:

START Generating initial ramdisk
DONE

and then alpm can call the functions. you'll never be able to call the
frontend's function from post_install()

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--