[pacman-dev] add message() function call for use in *.install/.PKGINFO files

Judd Vinet jvinet at zeroflux.org
Wed May 31 13:13:55 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 03:03:57AM +0200, VMiklos wrote:
> > Could there be some standard pipe defined to communicate between
> > .install script and front-end?
>
> that's what i've proposed :)
>
> 2 "commands":
> 1. START <string>
> 2. DONE <exit code>
>
> comments? Judd, Aurel? what do you think about this?

It starts to sound a little convoluted, but I can't think of a better
way.

If each scriptlet implicitly included a helper bash script that included
a task_message() function, that function could relay the strings through
a fifo that libalpm listened to on the other side.  libalpm could then
feed the strings back to the frontend.

- J