[pacman-dev] how stable is libalpm?

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:37:32 EST 2006

On 11/16/06, Christ Schlacta <aarcane at gmail.com> wrote:
> how stable are the interfaces in libalpm?  I'm contemplating writing a
> GTK based pacman replacement using libalpm, but only if the interfaces
> in it are stable enough that I won't be constantly playing catchup.

Well... I think alot more needs to be moved from pacman -> libalpm.  I
have a "proposed" interface writeup, that I'd like to evaluate, but
now is not really the time.

I think the libalpm interfaces are a bit more complex then they need
to be, and will at least be changing some of the way options and
things work in the near future (I don't like the lack of type safety
in the _get/_set functions).

So as for stability... I'd say start on it, and if my changes become
an issue with your development, I can always deprecate the "old" way
and keep the interfaces in there for a time.

/shrug