[pacman-dev] Time for changes

VMiklos vmiklos at frugalware.org
Thu Oct 5 04:06:10 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:44:26PM -0500, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will go through and determine exactly which files are patched by
> you, and apply the authors name to the copyright in CVS.

thanks! as soon as you have done this, i'll pull all the headers from
cvs and drop our own

> This will waste my time, sure.  If you guys would like, you can feel
> free to waive your rights on existing code in CVS, giving copyright
> ownership to Judd, though I doubt you'd do that.

is it possible to share the copyright ownership? when i first
contributed to OpenOffice.org, i had to sign the jca:

http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/jca.pdf

quoting http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#jcaa:

"Under the Joint Copyright Assignment, both Sun and the contributor
retain full rights to use, modify, and redistribute the copyrighted
work."

this is a bit better: Judd has still the full copyright (as he wished)
but if i would like to re-use my own code in some other projects, then i
can do using the license i wish. ie.: if i want to contribute our
regex-search function to a bsd-licensed project, it won't be a problem

> From now on, all patches must explicitly waive the author's copyright
> claim in order to be accepted into pacman.

okay, thanks for clarifying this. if you think this is  agood idea, then
mention this in a COPYRIGHT file (or something like that) in the cvs

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org