[pacman-dev] $ARCH suffix on packages

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 10:48:21 EDT 2006

So I actually expected someone to start this, as I was curious.  I
know frugalware uses the architecture suffix on packages, and Xentac
thinks this is a good idea.

I'd like to hear reasons.  I don't really feel that "RPM and DEB do
it" is a good enough reason.  I mean, if that reason was good enough,
we'd be using RPM/DEB in place of pacman packages.

The way I see it, I don't think pacman needs to know the architecture
it's running on.  Installing "pkg-foo" should be no different on i686
or PPC.  Therefore, I think that adding the architecture suffix is
extra information that's not really needed.

What is gained by having this suffix?