[pacman-dev] $ARCH suffix on packages

Cameron Daniel me at camdaniel.com
Wed Oct 11 02:57:44 EDT 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:55:48 -0400
Dale Blount <dale at archlinux.org> wrote:

> Say I have more than one architecture running Arch (I do).  Say I have
> an nfs mounted home directory (I do).  Say I have packages lying
> around in my homedir (I do).  It'd be nice to know at a glance which
> box(es) the package could be installed on without stretching my
> already over-stuffed memory.
>
> Same holds true for packagers who build packages for more than one
> architecture.
>
> Dale

I think the $ARCH suffix is a good idea. Yeah it's a change which will
confuse people who don't stop and think for half a second and while it
doesn't have any technical benefits, the cosmetic convenience would be
nice.

Have the $ARCH suffix in the filename isn't going to add any
unnecessary bloat, it's not going to take away from anything and while
the positive side isn't anything that will blow you away, it has more
minimal advantages than minimal disadvantages.

  - Cameron