[pacman-dev] What about managing optional dependencies?

Christian Hamar krics at gds.hu
Thu Oct 12 18:05:26 EDT 2006

2006. 10. 12, csütörtök keltezéssel 16.45-kor Alessio 'mOLOk' Bolognino
ezt írta:
> I'm not (yet :) a good C programmer, so it's just a hint, and I don't
> know if it's easily implementable in pacman, but sometimes there is
> software that works even without another one, but having this installed
> let you perform other functions (probably this sentence is bad written,
> hope you all know what an "optionale dependency" is ;) .
> As you know there is no way in pacman to handle this kind of dependency
> except writing a warning message in the .install .
> I think would be useful to have (at least) an array where to put this
> type of deps. Am I just a fool?

You think something like debian did no ?

There is some "suggested packages" and such foos as i see in newer
versions. Those are not installed by default just printed out into
screen. And then user knows that some pack maybe can use those
'suggested' packages.

But i dont realize too much package which this feature will be usefull.
Only few. :(

Regards

Christian Hamar alias krix
Hungary