[pacman-dev] perl module repo

Jason Chu jason at archlinux.org
Wed Oct 18 16:36:54 EDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 13:08:56 -0500
"Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/06, Charles Mauch <cmauch at taclug.org> wrote:
> > The build process is fairly error-free at this point, though it
> > took more than a week of hacking to get it error-free. :)
> >
> > The process works something like this....
> >
> > 1.  Every night my cpan modules list is updated via a cron job.
> > 2.  About 30 minutes later, I scrape the above url for modules to
> > build. 3.  If there is a difference between the cpan module version
> > and the repo version, the module is built, and a build-report is
> > generated. 4a. The next morning I commit any changes to the repo
> > via svn. 4b. I have code ready to auto-commit changes to the repo,
> > but I'd like let things run for a week or two before I allow the
> > script to bypass the last vestiges of human control of the
> > process. :)
>
> This is rather ingenious.  I actually think this makes far more sense
> than what I had in mind.  I'm sure Xentac has a comment or two on
> this.

Comments... let's see...

What happens if a build fails?  That's my biggest concern.

What about dependencies?  Is this a clean system building packages or
could dependencies sneak in without us having a way to tweak them?

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good idea.  I'm still noodling
it, but on the surface, it seems good.

> The idea I had was to use the libalpm bindings to create a perl
> frontend which grabbed things from CPAN and wrote db information upon
> install.  This would tie together with some meta naming.... i.e.
> perl:libxml would call the perl plugin.
>
> This is actually a superior idea IMO, and could be extended infinitely
> (to python, et al) and not require a complex plugin system in pacman
> to do this.

This is one of the reasons I wrote pacbuild... too bad it's still not
done...  While the actual building is only one part of this, you'd need
something if it was extended to all packages.

Jason